DID YOU KNOW…
SPOT offers Pet Microchipping for only $18.
What is Microchipping and what are the benefits?
- It is a permanent method of identification.
- It is fairly painless for your pet. The microchip is small and is injected with a needle similar to that of a vaccination.
- There is a less chance that someone will steal your pet and get away with it.
- Microchips help identify your pet. If your pet is lost and ends up at an animal shelter, your pet can be easily identified and returned to you.
- Identification information can be easily updated since the information is kept on a database, it is a simple matter to update your contact information whenever you move or change phone numbers.
- There have been numerous cases where collars and tags have been lost, but because of microchipping animals have been returned to their owners from ten miles to across the country.
The following is provided by HomeAgain:
Registered microchips give lost pets the best chance of returning home. The statistics indicate that missing pets rarely make it home.
- The American Humane Association estimates over 10 million dogs and cats are lost or stolen in the U.S. every year.
- One in three pets will become lost at some point during their life.
A study published in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, including 53 animal shelters across the U.S., confirmed the high rate of return of microchipped dogs and cats to their families, and the importance of microchip registration:
- Only about 22 percent of lost dogs that entered the animal shelters were reunited with their families. However, the return-to-owner rate for microchipped dogs was over 52 percent (a 238 percent increase!).
- Less than 2 percent of lost cats that entered the animal shelters were reunited with their families. The return-to-owner rate for microchipped cats was dramatically higher at over 38 percent (more than 2000 percent better!).
- Only 58 percent of the microchipped animals’ microchips had been registered in a database with their pet parent’s contact information.
High-tech protection can prevent heartbreak.
Enter the pet microchip — a simple, elegant product of our high-tech age. No bigger than a grain of rice and less costly than a month’s supply of pet food, a pet microchip and enrollment in a pet recovery database brings lost pets home and provides peace of mind that your beloved companion will never wander unknown.
Veterinarians encourage microchipping. And with good reason – microchipping substantially increases the likelihood of a pet returning home by offering secure, reliable, unique and permanent identification.
Interested in learning more? Contact us!